In its 83rd year of service, CareFirst, an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is a not-for-profit healthcare company which, through its affiliates and subsidiaries, offers a comprehensive portfolio of health insurance products and administrative services to 3.3 million individuals and employers in Maryland, the District of Columbia and Northern Virginia. In 2019, CareFirst invested $43 million to improve overall health, and increase the accessibility, affordability, safety and quality of healthcare throughout its market areas.
- Is the largest healthcare insurer in the Mid-Atlantic region, serving 3.3 million members.
- Employs approximately 5,500 associates and contractors in Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia.
- Operates the nation’s largest Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) program of its kind.
- Serves more than 626,000 members in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) – one of the largest FEHBP enrollments in the nation.
- Offers Congressional Employees and their families access to more than 96 percent of hospitals and 95 percent of doctors and specialists across the U.S. – more than any other insurer
- Nationally recognized for Plan Excellence for providing stellar customer service for 22 years for D.C. FEP members and 15 years for Maryland FEP members.
- Invested nearly $38 million in 2018 to improve overall health, and increase the accessibility, affordability, safety and quality of health care throughout its market areas.
- Earned recognition in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 as one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" from the Ethisphere Institute.
- Revenue: $9.4 Billion
- Net Income: $138.9 Million
- Medical Care Spending: $7.6 Billion